Friday, July 1, 2011

Sushi challenge preparation #2

Woo-hoo, three day weekend!  I had a good day at work, the weather is finally summer (seriously, 70° in June wasn't quite enough...85° is more like it!), and I have plans lined up for the long weekend.  I was in a good mood this afternoon, and I was ready to take on my next step of spicy sushi challenge preparation.

Back to Yagumo for a #7 and #8 roll.  Last time, I did a #5 and #7.

Pretty presentation again (shifted a little on the drive home), with nicely labeled #7 and #8

Close-up detail on the #7
My strategy is to devour the rolls as quickly as possible.  It's going to burn anyway, so why drag it out?  Both were gone in about 2 minutes...but the deadly burn lasted longer.  I downed a shot glass of half-and-half, which did very little.  Back to two shot glasses of coffee creamer, and a giant glass of water.

After ten minutes, my lips were still tingling and I still felt the heat, but it was tolerable.  Ten minutes after that, I was good...until about forty five minutes after eating, when I started to feel sick.  I think that's due to the spicy and coffee creamer combining in my stomach.  I might not "train" for this challenge anymore and just jump into it next time—I have a plan and a technique for the actual eating, and I'll just have to handle the afterburn consequences.

No comments:

Post a Comment