Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Hollywood Forever (and ever and ever!)

Movie nights in a cemetery: brilliant, or fantastically brilliant?

Hollywood Forever hosts summertime movie screenings, and it is amazing.  Bring your blankets, bring your snacks, bring your booze, and hang out.  Two years ago, I went with a friend (and her friends) to see Jaws on the Fourth of July.  A week later, I went with another friend for The Bride of Frankenstein, and maybe two weeks after that, we returned for Some Like It Hot.  I didn't make it to any screenings last summer, but I'm determined to not let it slip by again.

Sunday evening was Ghostbusters.  Though neither of us was sure if we'd even previously seen the movie all the way through, my roommate Lisa and I were excited for movie night.  I made guac, packed a cooler, gathered some blankets, and we were off to fight for some grassy space.


We ended up scoring an awesome spot right up front and slightly to the side.  It was slightly obscured from our view when walking up to the screening mausoleum, thanks to my new buddy Douglas Fairbanks and his elaborate resting place.  We laid out the blankets, dug into the snacks, and waited.

"Wait, I wanna be eating guac in every picture!  It'll be my thing!"


The movie itself was improved by the crowd.  People sung along with the theme song and all "Ghostbusters!" chants, and even got into yelling, "Noo, don't! Ahhhh!" at times.  Super cool atmosphere.  And, bonus!  At the end, as we got up and walked out, the DJ immediately played "Thriller"...so I had no choice but to get my Leo Strut on.  If my hands weren't full with a cooler and bags, I probably would have needed to rock out the "Thriller" dance (like I did on Jaws night).

On the drive home, I decided to take us down Sunset Blvd, rather than the normal, less scenic route.  I pointed out the Hollywood Palladium, Hotel Café, fun billboards, and finally the "real" Sunset Strip.  Lisa had never been to the Roxy, or Key Club, or anything down that way.  Eventually we hit Beverly Hills, and I really turned into a high-class tour guide.  "And on your right, we will soon be passing a classic Beverly Hills neighborhood sign." I tried to throw in a lot of fun facts and tidbits, communicated in a sweet tour guide announcer voice.  Or maybe I sounded like a game show host.

I decided to take a minor detour, and we turned on to Roxbury Drive so I could show off Lucille Ball's former house, "and next door, you'll see Jack Benny's house! Oh wait, is that a dude in Lucy's door??" Yep, there was a silhouette of a man standing in the glass doorway as we drove by...so I sped up a little to not be that creepo who's driving by super slowly.

I also tour-guided our way past Bel Air and UCLA sorority/fraternity houses, then we were dropped onto our northbound route home.  I suggested a final detour: the Jackson family home, conveniently located within (long) walking-distance of our house...or a short drive.  I told her about my evening outside the gate the day after Michael Jackson died and everyone created a nice memorial, and seeing a family car drive out and be mobbed by reporters.

Nights like that remind me exactly where I live.  For my first 2+ years in Los Angeles, I was stuck in a little bubble surrounding my apartment due to lack of car (and low-quality public transportation).  Getting to Hollywood and Highland took a bus transfer to a train, about a half hour from my door to tourist central.  It's not that I would forget where I live, but I didn't realize how close I am to all the cool stuff.  Now I am mobile and able to explore. And I love Los Angeles.

PS: I just asked Lisa, "If I was on Yelp, how would you rate my tour guiding?" and she said she liked that I knew where things were, and I was very lively.  So there you go.  Hey tour guide companies, I'm willing to learn your route and tour highlights.  Also, I am likable and energetic and available for hire!

No comments:

Post a Comment