Saturday, July 9, 2011

A Belated Happy 4th!

Wow, I'm late with this. So, um, Happy Independence Day!

I LOVE the Fourth of July.  From the time I was fourteen or so, until I was eighteen (and no longer in the area in July), I'd spend the holiday in Washington, DC—right on the west lawn of the US Capitol.  We'd always get there super early (9:00am?) to camp out for a spot just to the left of the stage they set up for A Capitol Fourth.  Most years, we'd also go the day before for the rehearsal.  During the full day of waiting around, my sister and I would disappear elsewhere on the lawn to take pictures and goof around.

Rehearsal day - July 3, 2005

Now that I'm an "adult" and live on my own (and not on the east coast), I've had to find other things to do. This year, I started the day off with a stop at a friend's pool party in Calabasas. After two hours or so, I left with another friend to meet a third friend for a beach day.

We cut through the canyons and ended up at a nice little spot in Malibu.  Veronica specifically chose this stretch of beach for the seafood restaurant across the street.

  

After our late lunch, we laid out in the sand for the rest of the evening. The plan was to stay until it got dark, and watch Santa Monica fireworks down the coast.



We brought out Apples to Apples and played a never-ending round, which resulted in some awesome pairings.  As the tide came in, Veronica and Jeremy claimed to see a seal not too far out...but I swore it was just the rock we had seen protruding from the waves earlier. (I wish I could say I knew it was a seal, because I love seals!) We ended up calling it a day around 7:00pm, as it was getting colder and we could no longer see very far down the coast.  Fireworks-viewing wouldn't be successful.

However, when I got home, I went to my rooftop and saw over 180° of fireworks shows across the horizon.  There was a big one close by, as well as other shows farther in the distance, all across the valley.  I even synched up Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture from my iPod during the finale of the big nearby show.  Super fun "chill out" day.

No comments:

Post a Comment