Monday, May 30, 2011

Pre-Memorial Day beach attempt

Remember my beach excitement yesterday?

Note to self: check the weather before assuming it's a beach day. Even in southern California, not every day is a beach day.

I drove all the way to Zuma Beach in Malibu and, after over a half hour, was greeted by this:

Not pictured: super crazy winds
Considering no one was there and I was wearing a sundress (no pants, no hoodie, nothing to survive the 60°ish temperature), I sadly turned around upon arrival.  It was still before 10:30am and I wasn't ready to give up on my Sunday plans yet, so Santa Monica beach was next.

I don't know why I expected the weather to be substantially different just down the coast, but I did.  And it was...just a little.  Maybe we added 5° and lost half the windspeed, but it still wasn't "beach weather" at all.  However, the pier was packed, and there was a good amount of people in the sand anyway.

Also in the sand—a Memorial Day display.







I spent a total of $22 on parking at two different beaches (and got no real "beach time"), used up a quarter tank of gas, and got all greasy from sunscreen for no reason...but I think Santa Monica's memorial made it worth the trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment