Wednesday, October 19, 2011

I Hate Running

I seriously hate running.  I've done two 5Ks with my friends within the last year and a half (Warrior Dash and Spartan Race)...but I was in it for the obstacles.  And the beer at the end.  That is the way to motivate us: hijinks and beer.  But even on those "fun" courses, I remember asking (several times), "Why am I running? No one is chasing me..."

Here's the thing: I will be turning 25 next year. Twenty five.  That's a grown-up age.  I need to do something big to mark the occasion.

So I'm going to run a half-marathon.

The Disneyland Half-Marathon is held in September.  I don't want to run a random course just for the sake of running, because I hate running.  But I love Disneyland.  The timing and location are perfect.

I kinda-sorta started going to the gym to take spin classes with my roommate (maybe I've only done that twice), and sometimes I get on the elliptical machine.  Last Friday, I got on the treadmill and ran 2.1 miles in 22 minutes, and on Sunday I did 1.6 miles in 16 minutes. So I'm like one-seventh of the way there already.

I know I should be running outside for real terrain, but it's so easy for me to stop then. I can't as easily stop on the treadmill because it's moving. And people will judge me for walking on it.  So until this becomes a habit, I'm sticking with the moving treadmill in a judgmental environment.

I'm heading over to the gym again now.  And I really, really hate running.

No comments:

Post a Comment