Saturday, June 18, 2011

Dos chicas walk into un restaurante salvadoreño...

Yesterday at 7:30am, my roommate sent me a text to ask if I wanted to go to a Cuban restaurant for dinner. Let me repeat: she asked me about dinner at 7:30am. (Answer: YES.)  I was looking forward to it all day, even eating a small lunch to leave maximum hunger for the ropa vieja con arroz y frijoles I planned on ordering.

Flash forward to 7:00pm, and the restaurant we had in mind was unavailable.  Thanks to some quick-thinking (and a smartphone), we soon found ourselves en route to a Salvadoran restaurant within three miles of our original destination.


We entered through a little hidden back entrance, which we thought was incorrect, but turned out to the the only way in.  Immediately, we could tell this place was authentic.  We were possibly the only English-speakers in there.  Our waitress came over and asked, "Spanish?" ("No...poquito...") I spoke enough Spanish (I can speak food) and she spoke enough English for us to order, after I helped my roommate figure out what the (100% Spanish) menu offered.


Our entertainment for the evening
Right in the corner behind us, there was a mic/karaoke setup—apparently Friday nights are live music nights.  The table just to the left was full of guys drinking and having fun, and they'd sometimes come up and join their friend at the microphone, singing what seemed to be well-known Spanish songs.  It was all very lighthearted, and they'd get up and laugh and dance.  Super fun atmospheric addition to the little thatched huts over the tables.


I ordered five pupusas (a combination of revuelta and queso y loroco), while my roommate eventually decided on pollo asado con arroz.  Um, delicious.  The curtido and tomato sauce were also perfect.  I've attempted to make pupusas at home before, and I know I'm doing something wrong—mine are still a good meal, but I'm obviously not making them like this.

Right before we asked for our check, the singing guys' table sent our waitress over to offer to buy me a drink!  We were the table right in front of their corner, so of course they would have noticed us paying attention and applauding.  So much fun.

It was a small place, and you could tell that a lot of people in there were probably regulars.  Our waitress was super nice with our attempts at each other's languages (lots of "Good?  OK?" and "¡Sí, gracias!"), and I ended up tipping her really well.  Thanks, La Fonda de Don Cuper!  You are excellent.

No comments:

Post a Comment