Saturday, April 2, 2011

Wine tasting...at home

A couple weeks ago, there was an amazing sale on wine at the grocery store down the street.  Every wine was 30% off, plus an additional 10% off if you bought a mix-and-match case of any six bottles.  I took the opportunity to stock up on different brands and varieties, since I usually just get the same bottle of whatever's cheapest.

Well, I still went with whatever's cheapest.

Of the six bottles I selected, the most expensive was about $4. I don't know much about different wines, though, so I did choose different types.

The empty bottles so far...another full bottle and a quarter remain in the cabinet.

That evening, I sampled a glass of merlot and cabarnet sauvignon of the same brand (Quail Oak in the photo above)...and hardly noticed a difference. Maybe the merlot is a little sweeter, but I couldn't quite figure out why I liked the cabarnet better.  I just know that I did like it more.  (I am clearly not well-versed in wine vernacular or descriptions.)

My order of preference for the finished wines: Quail Oak cabarnet sauvignon, Redwood Creek pinot noir, Beringer California Collection cabarnet sauvignon, Quail Oak merlot.  I think. They still all taste very similar to me.

Not yet a wine connoisseur.

No comments:

Post a Comment