Friday, April 8, 2011

"This is...burlesque!"

I actually went out last night!  Considering I wake up before 5:00am for work, this was quite an event. (Okay, so maybe we got there at 7:30pm and left by 9:30pm, but still...I went out.)

I just finished taking a five-week beginners burlesque workshop (I'm sure I'll talk about that again later).  My teacher is part of a super awesome burlesque troupe—they've performed on daytime/late-night talk shows, at Golden Globe afterparties, and at other big Hollywood events.  Since they had an early show, as part of an artistic showcase, I decided I had to finally go.

I also decided I am not Hollywood-trendy.

I am not weird enough for an "artistic" event in Hollywood.  I wish I had taken pictures of the overall venue and crowd.  Imagine the most colorful "scene" kids from high school/college.  Now give them money and outlets for even crazier artistic creativity.  Add in a weak $9 cranberry+vodka.  There.  That was the vibe at this event.

(Okay, sidenote? Kent and Vyxsin from The Amazing Race were MCing. Love the show, dislike that competitive pair.)


The girls were the first act.  It was a condensed version of their "burlesque through the ages" show, starting with old glamour and class.

Then came the motorcycle revving sound and little biker jackets.






 

It was so much fun to watch, and got me so excited about my intermediate burlesque session in a few weeks.  We didn't stay too long after that, as the following fashion show was a trainwreck (tulle and too many accessories thrown together, in the style of an even worse Lady Gaga).  My friends and I made a polite pass through the art galleries, then made our exit.  I might not be Hollywood-trendy, but I still had a good time.

No comments:

Post a Comment