Friday, January 6, 2012

Michael Jackson estate auction

I love Michael Jackson.  I remember already being a fan when he had the Free Willy footage in his "Will You Be There" music video in 1993/1994.  I remember celebrating his acquittal in 2005.  And I was outside UCLA hospital after he died in 2009, and went to the makeshift memorial outside the family home the next day.

So who's shocked that I was interested in the auction of items from his rented house?


The auction house was open to the public for viewing, so I went after work one day.  They had it set up like a real home, with the furniture arranged in little formal groupings. The whole thing was very formal—I felt out of place in my yoga pants and hoodie. There were only a few people in there, and I felt like the staff was watching everyone. I can't really blame them when some of the furniture was valued at $5,000+. BUT...some stuff was valued at under $100. I could afford something small!

I looked through the online catalog, made a list of all sub-$200 items, and registered to bid. On auction day, I logged on for the live online bids and watched a stream of the proceedings.

AND I WON SOMETHING.

Yesterday I went to the warehouse to pick up my handblown Italian glass vases. They are beautiful and they are mine. I made a grown-up estate auction purchase, and now I have things from MJ's final home. An all-around excellent deal.

No comments:

Post a Comment