Sunday, September 4, 2011

I got a bunny!

I got my first bunny from the fair when I turned eight (my sister got one at the same time too). I got my second (the family's third) in 2002 or 2003.  I moved away for college in 2005, leaving my bunny with my family...but as soon as I was able, I wanted one again.  I've been the official bunnysitter/godmother to my friends' bunnies for the past two years, taking care of them when my friends go out of town.  And now...I have a bunny of my own once again!

Los Angeles Rabbit Foundation hosts an adoption event every Saturday, where they bring in their rabbits from foster homes and show them off so they can find new permanent, loving homes.  I finally really asked my roommate if we could have a bunny (beyond "I want one..." and actually talking logistics), and getting the OK from her was much easier than expected.  So a few weeks ago, I emailed my adoption application and went to go look.

Meeting bunny at the adoption event
Lots of rabbits, mostly big ones, but then there was this one in a cage on their main table.  They said she was from a shelter and "needs some work," but "has potential"—she apparently came from a bad environment earlier (and she got left at a shelter!).  Once they put me in the gated pen with her and she sniffed around, I couldn't leave her there.

So she came home with me that day! I locked her in the bathroom while I ran to Target, three Petcos, and Home Depot to set up a nice, safe home for her.  The organization called her Cocoa, but now she is my little Ellie.

Naptime, all the time.
Today I went to a craft store to get wooden beads and twine so I could make a little chew toy for her...and found a few other goodies.  She's my spoiled little child.

She figured out how to play pretty quickly.

She's lived with me for three weeks now, and she's wonderful!  She's an excellent little explorer and roams around with a lot of hopping and dashing and sprinting.  Then she puts herself away in her litterbox.  The only thing "wrong" with her is that she won't sit in my lap and runs if I approach her to pet her...but she's a prey animal, and I am much bigger than her, so that's okay.  I'll just keep trying to buy her love with treats and toys.

No comments:

Post a Comment